Wednesday 1 October 2014

Quinoa Jollof







I’ve always been an advocate for African food. When I decided to make 'healthy eating' part of my lifestyle, it was my mission to still eat the foods I enjoyed but just to find healthier alternatives.


Jollof Rice is one of my favourite dishes. Being Ghanaian, its something I grew up eating every week. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Jollof Rice, it is a combination of white rice, tomato, onions, scotch bonnet, seasoning and some form of animal protein (chicken or beef).


I decided to get creative and replaced white rice with Quinoa. 


For this delicious dish, you will need:


Ingredients:



4 tbsp coconut oil
1 large onions, sliced
2 x 400g cans plum tomatoes
1 red pepper, diced
4 tbsp tomato purée
¼ tsp cayenne pepper or chilli powder
1 scotch bonnett
1 tsp curry powder
1 bay leaf
1 tsp thyme
1 stock cube
2 cups of quinoa
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups of water
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger



Method


-Heat the oil in your pot and add the onions.
-Blend the peppers, tomatoes,  ginger and 1 cup of water to form a smooth mixture.
-Add the smooth mixture to the pot, along with the seasoning.
-Stir and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
-Once the sauce turns into a thick mixture, add the quinoa, stirring it well on a low heat. Let it cook for about 20 minutes.
-To tell whether it's cooked, you want the sauce to be fully absorbed by the quinoa.


Happy Eating 

G

No comments:

Post a Comment